Nearly 700 leaders from education, business, nonprofits, government and other sectors gathered at the Iowa Events Center in Des Moines to join the discussion on connecting education and the workforce. General sessions included the following topics and speakers:
- • Transforming education for the workforce - The Honorable Kim Reynolds, Governor of Iowa;
• I’m depending on you, prepare me for the future - Langston Saint, Ninth-Grade Student, Sioux City West High School;
• Seeking a strong talent pipeline - Kerry Gumm, Head of Learning and Organizational Effectiveness, Principal Financial Group, Andrew Roelfs, Training and Development Manager, Interstates Electrical and Diane Young, Director of Technical Services and Owner, Foundation Analytical Laboratory, Inc;
• Educator reaction pane-Iowa’s talent pipeline - moderated by Cindy Dietz, Director, State Government Relations, Raytheon Technologies, Stacey Cole, Superintendent, Storm Lake Community School District, Marjorie McGuire-Welch, President, Southwestern Community College, Nancy Mwirotsi, Founder and Executive Director, Pi515, Nathan Van Zante, Science Teacher, Lewis Central Middle School and Mark Wiederspan, Executive Director, Iowa College Aid;
• My journey in sci-comm, women in STEM and the power of media - Emily Calandrelli, Host and Co-Executive Producer of the Netflix Show “Emily’s Wonder Lab”; and
• Economic, workforce and education actions to transform education for the workforce - Debi Durham, Director, Iowa Economic Development Authority and Iowa Finance Authority, Paul Gausman, Superintendent, Sioux City Community School District, Mark Putnam, President, Central College, Steve Schultz, President, North Iowa Area Community College and Beth Townsend, Director, Iowa Workforce Development Authority.
In addition to the general session, eight breakout sessions provided in-depth conversations about work-based learning and computer science education.
The 2021 Future Ready Iowa Summit was made possible through the generous support of sponsors, including Accumold, Alliant Energy, Collins Aerospace, Google, Iowa Association of Business and Industry, Iowa Association of Community College Trustees, Iowa Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, Iowa Biotech Association, Iowa Board of Regents, Iowa Economic Development Authority, Iowa Workforce Development, ITC Midwest, John Deere, Kemin, Microsoft, MidAmerican Energy, Principal Financial, School Administrators of Iowa, The Technology Association and Vermeer.
Videos from keynote speakers and breakout sessions can be found at this link.