What types of jobs are available?
The Iowa Governor's STEM Advisory Council will match you to interested host sites in your region on a case-by-case basis. Matches are based on teacher interests, skills, and business needs. From gaining chemistry experience in a lab at a local bioscience company, to canoeing the streams of Iowa taking water quality samples, to analyzing process mapping data for a large Fortune 500 company, each Teacher Extern experience is unique with the goal of taking real-world examples back to your classrooms.
- Engineering and Manufacturing Descriptions
- Field Sciences Descriptions
- Laboratory Sciences Descriptions
- Technology and Mathematical Modeling Descriptions
What experience do I need?
You do not need to have previous business/industry experience to participate. On-the-job training will quickly prepare you for the tasks and assignments you will be given. However, your skills and previous experience will be considered when determining business placement to best benefit both you and the business/industry.
Teacher Externships run approximately from mid-June through July. Typically, a standard 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., 40-hour work week for six weeks over the summer is expected. However, a more flexible work schedule may be negotiated between the host and the extern depending on workload and schedules.
- A minimum of 200 hours (25 days) at the externship site with weekly documentation of hours worked.
- Identification of specific content and 21st century skills observed, and how students will see the real-world application of those skills in the classroom.
- An online blog created by you with weekly reflections of externship activities and classroom ideas that be used as a resource for your students.
- Participation in program evaluation, including teacher-extern surveys and student surveys.
Will I get paid?
As a Teacher Extern, you will earn an income boost of $150 per day, for up to $4,800 (including two days of professional development) or 30 days. This time will be spent 'on the job,' utilizing and implementing the latest real-world applications of your discipline. You will have the opportunity to gain business/industry experience close to home without having to travel far.
What are the expectations?
Teacher Externships are full-time, six-week, temporary summer positions at a local business or agency for secondary teachers of mathematics, science, and/or technology. Teachers earn a stipend of up to $4,800, as well as one graduate credit through the University of Northern Iowa's Continuing Education program.