A top priority of the STEM Council is to help improve learner interest and achievement in STEM areas. To support your work in bringing quality STEM learning opportunities to Iowa youth, we offer the STEM Scale-Up Program of the Iowa Governor’s STEM Advisory Council. For fiscal year 2020 (July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020) a pool of funds are available specifically to scale mathematics education program(s) proven to increase interest and achievement among K-12 students across Iowa. Thanks to the additional investment during the last legislative session, three exemplary mathematics programs are available to be implemented throughout Iowa during the 2019-2020 academic year. The Scale-Up Mathematics application is now open.
Available on the 2019-2020 Scale-Up Mathematics Application:
Application now closed.
SCALE-UP MATHEMATICS TIMELINE
- Educator application period: 5 weeks (Aug. 27 – Oct. 1)
- Review period: 3 weeks (Oct. 2 – Oct. 22)
- Awardees notified: Oct. 31
- Expenditure Period: 6 months (Nov. 1 – Apr. 30)
- Implementation: 7 months (Nov. 1 – May 31)
WHO CAN APPLY?
PreK-12 educators, both in and out of the classroom, are eligible to apply, so long as they have undergone a criminal background check as a requirement of employment. Eligible applicant(s) include public and private school PreK-12 teachers, youth organization leaders, informal education professionals, home school associations and others who deliver STEM education programming. Every applicant must secure the commitment and signature of the institution’s lead administrator(s).
THIS PROGRAM IS AN AWARD, NOT A GRANT.
It is a program delivered to selected applicants. However, applicants who propose to cost-share by absorbing some expenses (e.g. supplies, travel or administration, etc.) or bringing additional funding (e.g. a grant or private sector donation, etc.) will be considered favorably during the review process. Some program options require cost-sharing as noted in their descriptions. The STEM Scale-Up Program funding is provided from the Iowa Governor's STEM Advisory Council Regional STEM Hub Institutions directly to the program provider, rather than to the selected applicant.
HELP US EVALUATE THE PROGRAMS.
Once the program has been implemented, all awarded educators will be required to participate in assessing the effectiveness of their awarded program with the following:
- An educator survey to be completed at the end of the STEM Scale-Up Program; and
- A student participant list to be completed at the end of the STEM Scale-Up Program.
- [Note: Some STEM Scale-Up Program providers may request additional evaluation data.]
REQUIRED MATERIALS AND RESOURCES FOR THE APPLICATION
- 2019-20 STEM Scale-Up Program Menu
- Help Guide
- A copy of the STEM Scale-Up Program application
- Scoring Rubric
- FAQ Page and Application Tutorial Video
- Iowa’s Regional STEM Managers and a map of their regions
- Need guidance on sustainability sources? Click here to learn more about the various ways to build partnerships in your community.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS VIDEO
Tune in with Kristine, Jeff and Sarah to learn more about how to submit the perfect application for the STEM Scale-Up Program:
- Who May Apply? — Fast-forward to 0:45
- Creating a User Account — Fast-forward to 1:19
- Starting and Completing an Application — Fast-forward to 1:42
- Who Should be Listed as an Administrator? — Fast-forward to 2:23
- Question on Fulfilling Program Expectations — Fast-forward to 4:45
- Question on Plans to Sustain the Program — Fast-forward to 6:04
- Question on Reaching Children of High Need and/or Under-representation — Fast-forward to 7:38
- Submission — Fast-forward to 9:14
- Application Status — Fast-forward to 10:29
- Tools (Edit, Copy, View, Delete) — Fast-forward to 11:05
If you have questions about the program or the application process, please contact your Regional STEM Manager.